St Helens Rugby League Referees Society Newsletter – Edition 39
Adam Johnson Officiates GB Pioneers Tour
Society Member Adam Johnson volunteered to Officiate on the GB Pioneers Tour to Albania.
While on tour Adam Refereed Shqiperia RL vs GB Pioneers and then Touch Judged GB Pioneers vs Klubi Regbise Tirana. He said it was a great experience and really enjoyed it.
Cup Final Appointments for Ryan, Mackenzie & Shaun
Ryan Cox, Mackenzie Maddison and Shaun Pickering all Refereed cup finals during the month of September.
- Ryan Refereed the Under 15s Lancashire Cup final between Ince Rose Bridge vs Orrell St James
- Mackenzie Refereed the Under 14s foundation cup between Folly Lane and Chorley Panthers
- Shaun Refereed the Under 12s Lancashire Cup final between West Bank Bears vs Rochdale Mayfield
As the end of the season draws ever closer Members are being rewarded for their hard work throughout the year. September saw many personal achievements for our members.
- Denton Arnold was appointed to the Grade 2/3 Referee ‘Train On Squad’ – selected for the Academy and NCL play off matches as part of a panel of eight Referees.
- Denton Arnold (Referee), George Johnson & Shaun Pickering (Touch Judges) officiated the NCL Div 3 Promotion Final – Woolston Rovers v Batley Boys, which saw Woolston crowned NCL Div 3 Champions and promoted to Div 2.
- Denton Arnold (Referee), Innes Arnold & Craig Hill (Touch Judges) officiated an Origin Representative game – North Wales Origin v East Wales.
- Zoe Brown Touch Judged her first National Conference League game.
- Ryan Cox Refereed his first North West Men’s League game – Clock Face Miners A v Newton Storm.
- Ryan Cox, Stuart Fraser, Mackenzie Maddison & Shaun Pickering were appointed to the Under 19s Academy Touch Judging Play-Off Squad.
- Stuart Fraser Refereed his first North West Men’s League game – Culcheth Eagles v Roose Pioneers.
- Stuart Lloyd Refereed his first North West Counties Under 14s & 15s games.
- Mackenzie Maddison Refereed his first North West Men’s League game – Clock Face Miners A v Bolton Mets.
- Mackenzie Maddison Refereed his first Women’s Super League game – St Helens v Wigan Warriors.
Meet Your Referees – Misaele Vakadranu
Name: Misaele Vakadranu
Highest Levels officiated:
RLEF International Fixtures (Ref)
Belgium vs Netherlands (TJ)
Best Moment of your career?
‘Refereeing Germany vs Netherlands in Germany just after the RLEF Level 2 course in St Helens, England. Putting everything I learned into practice.’
Funniest Moment of your career?
‘Accidentally falling over two players while doing TJ as they tackle each other on the sideline. However I was able to raise the flag for out while in mid air as the ball went into touch.’
What would you say to someone who is considering Officiating?Misa Vakadranu – Associate Member
‘The earlier the better. Don’t wait, just get stuck in! I wish I could have started at a younger age. I could have gained a lot of experience by now.’
‘Teammates’ with Denton Arnold
Who is the funniest member of our Society?Denton Arnold – Full Member
‘Shaun Pickering for this one or at least he would think so! His DAD jokes are even worse than Innes’s.’
Who do you think is the best trainer of our Society on a Monday night?
‘My vote would go to Stuart Lloyd. He always puts 100% into each session or activity and makes sure everyone else stays encouraged throughout while often going under the radar himself. ‘
Who is the Society sick note?
‘Ryan Cox with his murderous blisters that usually appear every Monday night at 7pm!’
Who in the Society has the best changing room banter?
‘Craig Hill. Ever since coming through the Society from a young age Craig has always made match days the funniest, coming out with his original one liners, while still ensuring we are always prepared to go out and do the best we could. Got to give a mention to Craig Smith, Innes Arnold and Shaun Pickering (aka young Innes Arnold) for their banter too.’
Who is the best dressed member of the Society?
‘Got to my dad, Innes Arnold. He takes pride in his appearance and the way he composes himself whether that be at matches, meetings or social events – definitely a trait myself and Tolver aspire to uphold.’
Important Upcoming Dates
General Meeting – Tuesday 5th Novemeber 2019
Please send all future stories to Shaun Pickering so these can be added to newsletters.
Please send all notable appointments to Denton Arnold so these can be added to the honours list.